Hey buddy, discovering new Android apps is always fun and exciting. Today we will see 8 amazing Open Source Android Apps. Open Source Android Apps allow more transparency of the user’s data and the opportunity to fork or improve the app.
BEST OPEN SOURCE ANDROID APPS IN 2022
The first app on our list is Alarmio, one of the open source android apps and alternative to the Google Clock app.
- The app follows Material Design and has eye-candy animations with a refreshing design.
- These apps are popular, like the AR zone; if you don’t know about the AR zone app, you should check the AR zone app.
- Swiping on time will cycle through all time zones which were added by you.
- Although I expected the background image would change depending on whether the image is static in that time zone.
- Clicking on the plus button will show stopwatch options, a timer, and set a new alarm.
- Clicking on the new alarm button will show you a time selection dialog where the current time will be selected.
- Once the time is chosen, taping on the “OK” button will confirm the new alarm’s creation.
- Swiping right will show the settings, where the app offers three themes, light, dark, and AMOLED.
- Alarmio also can change the theme according to the time of day when the theme is set to schedule.
- You can change the background image below the theme, but that doesn’t seem to work on my device.
- Clicking on the time zones menu will allow you to add more time zones to the app.
- The app also has a sleep reminder and a slow wake-up feature.
The next open-source Android app in our open source android apps list is the DuckDuckGo browser, which, as the name suggests, is an internet browser that focuses on privacy and doesn’t record any history by default. Once your browsing is finished, taping on this fire icon will erase everything in the browser.
- DuckDuckGo browser also has a bookmarks feature, but I wouldn’t recommend saving any bookmarks as they would give a clue on what we might be browsing. Also, Read about Roku overheating.
- The browser also has a dark theme, which can be toggled in the settings. To improve more privacy, taping on the automatically clear option allows you to set what to delete. Taping on the below option will allow you to specify when to delete.
Considering the app’s minimalistic features and developed and maintained by the privacy search engine DuckDuckGo makes it an excellent and trust-able browser.
Also Check: Why People Like DARK MODE APPS In 2022?
Next on the list of open source android apps is; Tusky For Mastodon, which is an Android client for Mastodon.
- Columns in Mastodon are displayed as tabs, and you can swipe them to switch between your feed, your notifications, toots from your instance, and toots from everywhere.
- Pressing on the pencil button will allow you to create a new toot and the editor also has built-in emojis.
- Going into the settings, the app also has a light theme, a dark theme, and a pitch-black theme.
- The app also has custom emoji sets and supports many other languages other than English.
- Taping on the profile image on the sidebar takes you to your profile.
- The app also has a few other features which don’t need much of an explanation.
What is a list of Android apps without a launcher?
Shade launcher is a minimalist open-source launcher that has an Android Pie style search bar which can directly take you to the search page on certain installed apps. As I have a Brave browser, DuckDuckGo browser, and Spotify installed, you can select any of those as the search bar on my home screen.
- The launcher has custom icon pack support with a custom icon shape and has ten different themes.
- Back on the home screen, instead of this text, which says press home to search apps, the launcher replaces the text of the most recent notification that is still unread.
- This is a cool feature as it quickly reads the most recent unread notification without even pulling the notification bar.
- Pulling the app drawer, you will see the apps are automatically categorized into these sections at the top, and clicking them will only show you those apps, which makes it easier to find an app you are searching for.
Also Check: Best Emoji Apps For Android In 2022
What if you want a simple, private, and open-source keyboard without all the new and fancy features? Simple Keyboard is an app that is only available on the F-droid store. Well, as the name suggests, it is just a keyboard and nothing else.
Except for G Board, and unlike many other alternative keyboards to Android, Simple Keyboard does not crash while you are typing and also looks good.
Features like text prediction and swipe typing aren’t implemented in this keyboard resulting in no typing statics being sent to an external server that you have no control of.
The two crucial missing features in Simple Keyboard are emojis and support for other languages. If you use many emojis while typing, Simple Keyboard is not for you, as you will get frustrated very soon.
Forecastie is an open-source weather app that uses Open Whether Map to fetch whether in your area.
- Swiping right will show you whether prediction for the next day and subsequent days.
- Taping at the menu and pressing whether the map will show you a visual representation of rainfall, wind, and temperature as a map.
- The app can also display graphs from the weather forecast. This makes the app informative.
- You can change to the dark theme in the settings, make the widget transparent, specify the update interval, and provide a custom Open Whether Map API key. It is an excellent replacement for the stock messages app that comes with your phone.
- The app is the best looking messaging app available on Android.
- Other than typical SMS and MMS messages, the app can archive conversations to optimize for storing more extended periods.
Also Check: Top 10 Decoy Apps For IPhone And Android
The app’s schedule feature is the most useful as it automatically sends individual messages at a time. QKSMS also has a built-in message blocking feature where you can configure to hide or delete messages sent from blocked numbers automatically.
- The app lets you choose the theme color from a predefined material design palette or set a completely custom color.
- Just like every other app in this list, QKSMS has two themes, light and dark.
- A pitch-black theme can also be enabled by toggling a switch.
Finally, we have the Tasks app.
The app can sync your to-dos from Google Tasks, or you can donate the project with as low as 1 dollar per year to have the app sync to your Next cloud server, although you can run the app without any synchronization at all.
The app also has a feature-rich task editing screen where you can set time, location, priority, category, reminder, and file as an attachment and a lot more. Moreover, the app also supports search, and backups your to-dos to Google Drive and voice remind and show to-dos as calendar events.
Also Check: 8 Most Popular Apps Built With React Native
Other Open Source Android Apps
Other than the 8 open source Android apps that I have shown you now, here are four more open source android apps that didn’t make it into the list as they are too popular, and you might already know them.
- Nextcloud and its companion apps are Android clients for the Next cloud server, and all of them are open source android apps.
- F-droid is the open-source alternative to Google Play Store. On F-droid, you will only find free and open source android apps. If you support the use and development of open-source software, F-droid is a must-have for you.
- Open Camera is a popular camera app for Android that gives you more options and control over the stock camera app. If you are thinking of taking professional-looking photos on your smartphone, then Open Camera is the way to do it.
- Finally, Lawnchair Launcher is an Android launcher that adds a few features like custom icon support, blur effect, etc., on top of the stock Android launcher.